What is Reiki?
Reiki is a Japanese technique for stress reduction and relaxation that also promotes healing. It is administered by “laying on hands” and is based on the idea that an unseen “life force energy” flows through us and is what causes us to be alive. If one’s “life force energy” is low, then we are more likely to get sick or feel stress, and if it is high, we are more capable of being happy and healthy. The word Reiki is made of two Japanese words – Rei which means “God’s Wisdom or the Higher Power” and Ki which is “life force energy”. So Reiki is actually “spiritually guided life force energy.”
What are some of the top benefits of Reiki in general?
- Reduces stress significantly (the root of 80% of all illnesses according to the American Medical Association)
- Reduced anxiety
- Reduced depression
- Improves relationships
- Alleviates relationship stress
- Alleviates chronic pain
- Energizes the body and mind
- Clears up negative energies, thoughts and feelings and replaces them with positive ones.
- Uplifts mood.
- Increases focus and concentration
- Promotes mental clarity
- Gives stability or grounding
- Brings peace and calm
- Joy and happiness
- Chakra balancing
- Activates the body’s natural healing abilities
Brings subconscious issues to the surface so one becomes aware of them and is able to heal them
- Brings insight and wisdom
- Increases creativity
- Deepens bonding and intimacy between people with their permission
- Increases intuition and divine guidance
- Removes heavy or negative energy and replaces that with positive energy
- Reduced side effects from radiation, chemotherapy and Rx meds
- Has been known to facilitate the healing of many physical illnesses. However, it is still important to see a licensed heath care provider if you have a medical or psychological condition.
How Does Reiki Work?
We are alive because life force flows through us. Life force flows within the physical body through energy centres (chakras) or energy pathways (meridians). It flows around us in a field of energy called the aura. Life force keeps our body healthy. When it is disrupted we get sick. Often our life force becomes disrupted by negative thoughts and feelings. The terminal manifestation of negative thoughts and feelings is often physical illness. Reiki heals by flowing through the affected parts of the energy field. It breaks up negative energies and replaces it with positive energy. As Reiki heals our energetic field, our life force once again flows in a healthy way.
Who can learn Reiki?
Anybody can learn Reiki because it a simple and natural healing method yet has profound and powerful healing effects. It is also completely safe and has no side effects. You do not need previous spiritual or academic training or any special gifts or talents to learn Reiki. It is a system of energy healing available to anyone. However, in order to learn Reiki for self-healing and healing others, you need to take a class where you are attuned to Reiki energies.
Why learn Reiki?
So you can experience many or all the benefits described above. The sky is the limit. In other words, it improves the quality of your life! It is also a great complement to conventional medicine and other therapies such as physiotherapy, acupuncture, psychotherapy and other healing modalities. You can also make it a part-time job or full-time profession!